The Board of Trustees and Head of School
- Defines organizational mission and seeks to ensure that its decisions are mission-driven
- Leads strategic planning and implementation of strategic plans
- Seeks to create and maintain financial stability and sustainability for the School, including through giving and raising funds and arranging for the management and investment of funds
- Acts as a steward of the School and seeks to serve the School’s constituents and community
- Seeks to ensure that methods of education and operations are successful, safe, ethical and regularly assesses and follow relevant best practices for school governance
- Hires, evaluates, and supports the Head of School. The Head of School is reviewed annually by the Board or one of its committees and is accountable for the sound educational, financial, managerial, and safety oversight of the School.
2019-20 Board of Trustees
Adam Edgecombe ’98 - Alumni Board, Chair
Marcia Howard '83 – Board of Visitors, Chair
Jacque McGraw– Parent Association, Co-Chair
John McGraw – Parent Association, Co-Chair
Harry M. deMontmollin Jr. ’56
Quinn R. Barton Jr. ’46
James V. Bent Sr. ’53
John W. Connolly Jr. - Deceased
William K. Hatcher ’48 - Deceased
Ann C. Hicks ’55 Bartram
Beverley W. Hirsig '46 - Deceased
Helen M. Lane ’42 Bartram
Robert H. Paul III ’52 - Deceased
Frederick H. Schultz ’46 - Deceased
A. Chester Skinner Jr. ’40
Herman Ulmer Jr. ’37 - Deceased
George W. Varn ’38
W. Lester Varn Jr. ’42
E. Ellis Zahra Jr. ’64
Head of School — Tyler Hodges
Tyler Hodges was named the School’s ninth President and Head of School on February 5, 2018 after serving as Bolles’ Associate Head of School since July 2015.
Hodges’ educational career includes more than 18 years as a teacher and administrator at some of the country’s top independent schools, including Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Virginia. He has been a history and leadership instructor, class dean and coach. He has led accreditation visits, handled discipline matters as Dean of Students, and, prior to coming to Bolles, was the Director of Upper School Academics and Student Life at Laguna Blanca School in Santa Barbara, California.
Hodges possesses a wealth of professional development experience and, while in California, was invited to join a partnership with an orphanage in Haiti to offer aid and educational support. Following the devastating earthquake there, Hodges was asked to serve on the orphanage’s Educational Board for his counsel and curriculum guidance as they created a school, Maison de Lumiere, contiguous to the orphanage. He assisted in this servant leadership capacity for three years.
Hodges received his Ed.M. in Administration, Planning and Social Policy from Harvard University Graduate School of Education and a Master of Arts in Diplomatic and Military History from Temple University. He received a Bachelor of Arts in History with a minor in Foreign Affairs from the University of Virginia. Hodges is an avid reader and loves a variety of sports, rare books, maps and 19th century literature. He also enjoys spending family time with his wife, Tristan, and their two daughters, Hannah ’27 and Madalene ’24.
Phone Number: 904-256-5026