History of The Bolles School
Established in 1933 as a military school for boys in grades 7-12, Bolles dropped its military affiliation in 1962 and became coeducational in 1971. The independent school is governed by a self perpetuating Board of Trustees. The School's balanced college preparatory program combines academics, offerings in the fine and performing arts, athletics, leadership and service opportunities and activities, and a nationally-known college counseling and guidance program. The boarding program, in which boys and girls reside on different campuses, complements the coeducational learning environment. After-school activities abound on each campus providing numerous opportunities and areas of interest for students.
In addition to the upper school campus at San Jose which is situated on a 52 acre site along the beautiful and scenic St. Johns River, Bolles has three other campuses in the Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra Beach areas. Bolles’ lower school on the Whitehurst Campus opened in 1981 with the first kindergarten class, expanding each year until the full Pre-K through Grade 5 lower school was complete. In 1991, the School acquired the Bartram Campus, formerly the all-girls Bartram School, which allowed for the addition of a separate middle school facility and a girls' boarding section. In addition, Bolles opened a campus in Ponte Vedra Beach in 1999 to serve students from the Beaches area in grades Pre-K through 5. The School enrolls approximately 1700 students each year on its four campuses, approximately 100 of whom are boarding students, representing eight states and 19 foreign countries in 2010.