The upper school music program offers two avenues for a student's study of instrumental music; each challenges the skills of the individual student while exposing him/her to a wide range of outstanding music.
- The Symphonic Band is an advanced performance based instrumental ensemble which meets daily during the academic day. This class presents a high level of challenge to a student's technical, theory and preparation skills. At this level, music theory and history are highly integrated with performance instruction, and the variety of range and styles of music explored is much greater than at previous levels.
- In addition to this ensemble class, private lessons with non-faculty instructors are available to all students whether or not they are enrolled in band classes. This program allows students to contract with an instructor of their choice and take lessons before, during or after school on any of The Bolles School campuses.
- The band performs a minimum of three concerts and a solo performance each year.
- Music students, either as a full band or smaller ensembles, are frequently invited to perform at other campus events or in the Jacksonville community.
- In addition to these performances, the Symphonic Band travels each spring to perform a concert somewhere in the Southeastern United States.
- All students are encouraged to participate annually in the Independent School Music Festival in solo, ensemble, and concert music categories.