Organizations and ActivitiesSTUDENT
Middle school is the time when extracurricular activities should enrich students’ lives by giving them opportunities to pursue or develop new interests, skills, and friends. In many cases, these activities supplement the academic program.
1. Convocation: One Wednesday per month during Activities Period all middle school students meet for Convocation in the auditorium. At this time programs are presented to the students on topics of educational, personal, and School interest. Outside speakers are often engaged, and on many occasions the students themselves are involved in the presentations.
Convocations provide students with an excellent opportunity to develop the skills of listening and good audience behavior. Additionally, Convocations are planned to give the individual student a sense of belonging and identity with a peer group.
2. Music: The Bolles School offers both vocal and instrumental programs. The Middle School Chorus, Beginner Band, and Concert Band are open to any student in grades 7 and 8. Sixth graders receive both instrumental and vocal instruction, as well as music appreciation through the required Fine Arts Enrichment program.
3. Clubs: The number and kinds of clubs vary from year to year. When a student group becomes interested in an area not currently offered, contact should be made with the middle school activities director for organizational information. Some clubs offered are in the following areas of interest: service, drama, photography, environmental awareness, and chemistry.
4. Drama: Drama is offered as a semester elective, both first and second semester. A different play is produced each semester, making it possible for a student to choose drama for a full year if he or she wishes. Additional parts, as well as technical positions, may be available to students who are not taking drama as a class. These positions will be announced.
5. Art: Three semester art classes are offered: Drawing & Painting, Sculpture and Ceramics, and Graphic Design. These classes may be taken any time during the 7th or 8th grade years.
THE BOLLES PARENT ASSOCIATION
The Bolles School Parent Association offers parents the opportunity to become involved in the life of the School. Parent volunteers on our four campuses work together to coordinate school-wide events and projects, and also to plan and produce events on individual campuses.
Association dues assessed each year support the numerous activities that the Parent Association sponsors, such as Grandparent Days, Faculty/Staff Appreciation Days, new parent activities, academic grants, parent education programs, grounds improvements, etc. on all campuses. In addition, parents raise funds for the School through the Parent Fund and the Tuition Drawing.
Parent involvement is essential to the continued success and growth of the School, and parents are encouraged to actively participate in the Parent Association. For more information about the Parent Association and opportunities to volunteer, click on Parents in the website header, or call the Parent Association hotline at (904) 256-5045.